Thursday, September 22, 2011

Staging-Basically a time to ask ourselves, "Do we really want to do this?"

Hello All,

Yesterday marked my transition from being a Peace Corps Invitee to an official Peace Corps Trainee (PCT).  I met our 44 person training class and we had our incredibly long, but very useful session that really went over expectations and goals of PC, along with, just as important, our own goals for this experience.  The three main goals of PC that have been used since the PC was started in 1961 are as follows:  1. Helping people of interested countries in meeting their needs for trained men and women 2. Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served 3. Helping promote a better understanding of the peoples on the part of Americans.  I know that is corny, but a nice reminder as to why I was inspired to serve in the first place!  We talked a lot about our anxieties and our aspirations...It was cool to see how we all had many in common--I'm not just a freak. Currently, I am just anxious about carrying my 76 pound bags out to the bus and where to store my dirty clothes!

After training last night, we all went to the Hard Rock Cafe and had a little celebration for one of the group members' birthday. Had a HUGE mushroom swiss burger and an AMAZING long island ice tea. We then walked in a massive group to a bar and of course, I had to have a PBR and a whiskey shot. Oh, how I will miss that :)



I am currently in JFK, waiting to fly to Brussels, Belgium and then onto Cameroon. This means that I won't have contact for quite some time, I presume...plus, I think it will be nice to be cut off for a little bit and really start the experience right. I already feel that our group is a family, even though I still have the awkward, "what's your name again?" after they told me half an hour before.  I began talking about poop today with someone, so I knew we had a special bond already :)  I remember feeling the same way during my time in Madagascar. This is an intense experience for everyone and we are all in it together.

After spending a couple nights in the capital city (I will buy a cell phone there and get the rest of my shots...eek) we are heading to Bafia, a small city to the north. Here, we will be placed with home stay families and really begin the intense training process on the way to becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer!  Learning French will be difficult, but I can't wait. I really want to put myself out there and just go for it.

Anyway, off to sync my ipod and such. Miss everyone already--this will be tough!

Much Love,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment